Translate

Saturday, August 4, 2012

State Bird Dresden & Traveling Stash Updates and other interesting stuff........



Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.-Albert Schweitzer

 I worked on the State Bird Dresden quilt for awhile last week and I am pleased to report that I got a lot of quilting done..........
 I stitched all around the diamond State Bird Patches and down the seam lines which then gave me a hexagon shaped border around each plate and a diamond around each corner patch.


And isn't it always this way......no matter how much we pin and place and fret........the backing never comes out in the right place once we have quilted!  My backing is too long on the top and too short at the bottom.....lol..........But I will just cut off the top and sew it to the bottom and get in that moving train and look at the back of  the quilt from there.......I bet I won't even notice that seam..........
I still have to quilt around the petals and I'm wondering how that will go.........did I mention that this quilt is 102 x 86??  Well  I was going so good that I decided to start the quilting on the plates themselves...........well lets just say that this quilting has not gone as fast as the other...........in fact I have one plate about half done and it is still sitting at my machine.....waiting..........

But I'm determined NOT to move it out from under my machine until I get at least the middle plates done.....lol..........

Other stuff from this week.......I got some nice packets in the mail!
A few times a year, Barbara, at The Curious Quilter has a postage stamp swap..........
this year I signed up as a "Newby" which means that 4 lovely ladies have signed up to send me 50 postage stamp charms to help me get started on my PSQ.......and so far here is what I received from Bunny, Mary, and Mandy........and I still have some charms coming from Mary Ann, who emailed to tell me she had dropped them in the mail yesterday.



From time to time, my blogging friend, Cherie  and I swap a FQ or two and she sent me a couple of nice pieces from her Swap Shop.
this is called Critter Community and you might have noticed next to the Postage Stamp Charms above is another piece she sent called Deer Valley.

.....and I spent more time working on my Hexies for my Oz hanging.......
 and the good news is that I have my flowers for the next THREE weeks done!  So now more reasons for having NO excuses for not getting to work on quilting the dreaded wonderful State Bird Dresden!
I am happy to report that Josie from Insanity Defense   is the winner of the Two Sisters Traveling Stash box and it will be going to her on Monday! Congratulations Josie!



If you would like to get a visit from one of the Traveling Stash boxes, you can go to Cherise's Page at Sewingly Along to get the scoop on how to sign up for one of the stash boxes!
 
Well finally I'm going to wrap this up by just reminding you that today is my Birthday and my 101st post and I haven't forgotten that I owe you guys a giveaway........I have ordered some goodies so stay tuned........as soon as I get them I'll post the giveaway so YOU can get them!     TaTa for now




 

8 comments:

Cherie said...

It is really annoying when that happens on a quilt, personally I blame the pins! (always blame the tools!)
What fun swaps! You're lucky you got there before I closed down.
That's a lot of hexies! Cut squares of fabric to make them..so much quicker, less waste =D

Needled Mom said...

Happy birthday!!!!! 29????

I would never even attempt a quilt of that size in my machine. I'm sure you will be able to make it work, but it is frustrating none the less.

The postage stamp quilt will be awesome. I just love them when I see them, but I am not sure that I would have the patience for one. What size are your squares?

It looks like the hexies are coming along nicely too. You have been really busy. I feel like a slug!

Congratulations, Josie.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday Ida,enjoy your day.xx

hueisei said...

Happy Birthday! I signed up as newbie for the PSQ quilt too. I'm going to make one too.

Angie said...

This is sooooo beautiful and so ORIGINAL---I'm having a serious love affair with this quilt. :D

Hilachas said...

Hey, you're moving right along on that Dresden. I KNOW you will finish it but, yes, it is an ordeal on our little sewing machines. I love the hexies you've made and I'm glad you're getting good stuff in the mail. With all those 2 1/2 inch squares, you'll have a new UFO in no time. I love it!

Janet said...

Ida, I hope you had the happiest birthday ever! Love your state bird Dresden plate quilt. What a combo!

heather said...

I love the Critter Community fabric.