Translate

Friday, June 21, 2013

Got my Sewing Mojo back with a Charity Quilt.......BINGO!

  Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.  ― Dalai Lama



I have been wanting to make some charity baby quilts for quite some time now..............my first thought was to donate some quilts to the Children's Hospital next to where I work and I also thought about donating to Project Linus.......and although both ideas are worthwhile I seemed to be dragging my feet when it came to actually doing it.................

Well yesterday I saw a post on my friend Melody's Blog (click on the link to read about it)  and my heart was so moved that I knew I had to do something.  The quilt drive is for babies in Papua, New Guinea, whose families have been displaced and moved to the high mountains where it is so cold that many babies are dying from the cold.

I not only wanted to do something but do it FAST.......I looked through my stash trying to find something bright and "baby-like" and browsed the internet for a quick pattern.......What I found in my stash was a BINGO card that I had made for a "May for Me" celebration a couple of years ago.......I had stashed it away thinking there must be something I could do with it.........I still had many of the same fabrics I had used to make it......and in one afternoon the bingo card went from this................................




To This!

I used matching fabric I still had in my stash for the back and then just quilted in the ditch on all the borders.....and made a "cheater binding" with the backing....


By the time I had added the five borders to the BINGO card it grew to be about 36" x 36"...........perfect for a newborn and still big enough to keep the baby warm for a year!  
Can we hear a big "B-I-N-G-O!"???

I am going to look some more.....I found some flannel which I think will also make a warm quilt and hopefully I can send them off next week................here is the link again in case any of you are interested in sending charity quilts to the babies in PNG......




Oh......and I did manage to make one more little project this week when I wasn't busy watching the squirrels and the birds and the flowers and the turtle.................


This little mug rug is a belated birthday gift.....since I missed the birthday I thought it might be appropriate.....(still loving my embroidery machine.....this one used an applique pattern...)

Tonight I go back to work for two graveyard shifts then off work on Monday because I have Jury Duty..............so I'm off to the shower and will talk to you all next time............Ta-Ta for now...................

 

8 comments:

Maria said...

What a fabulous way to use your BINGO card. It is a gorgeous quilt and will be loved by the recipient's family..
I am also making quilts to send to PNG.. I love to sew and what a fab cause to make for too.

sew.darn.quilt said...

A cute quilt and a wonderful cause! Nice mojo return ;)

Helen said...

A lovely quilt how wonderful of you. Great to see you back at it !!!!!!!!!

Anita said...

What a lovely quilt and a generous
donation. There are so many charities
out there needing help.
Good on you.
Cheers, Anita.

Kat said...

Such a great way to repurpose your BINGO block into a sweet quilt! Great job, my friend :-)

I love the ME on the mug rug. Happy Everything is perfect!

Hilachas said...

What a great idea! I've been wanting to re-purpose my bingo cards as well and what a good cause too. As soon as I get home, I might do that. Cute mug rug too. I'm so glad you're back sewing and blogging.

Melody said...

Thank you so much for helping.

Gina E. said...

Hi Ida,
I've emailed you directly, but just wanted to post a Thank You on your blog as well. You are so kind to make these quilts and send them around the world; I know how much it costs to send quilts (even small ones!) to the USA from Australia, so I imagine the cost from there to here is equally prohibitive.
My cousin said she may not be back in PNG until October, but she has promised to photograph every quilt donated with the baby it is given to, and I will post those photos on my blog as they happen.
Hugs
Gina