Translate

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Pincushion Ladies........



“There are two kinds of people, those who love dolls and those who don't yet know that they love dolls." ―  Gayle Wray  

I became obsessed with the vintage porcelain "half dolls" last year when I was looking for pincushion ideas.........I found that, like many vintage items, they can be found without having to pay too dearly for them..........I found these on E-bay for a very good price but someone had painted them both....... 



 
It took me a few days but was finally able to remove the awful paint.......and found that the one on the left looks like what is called a "Bathing Beauty" half doll.  She actually has a black cap on her head and is wearing a yellow top.  The one on the right wears a Japanese print top......
 

So after removing the paint I worked on the Bathing Beauty half doll and made her a new dress........................
 



 
I haven't decided what kind of skirt to make for her friend yet.......she looks a bit like a flapper girl to me but like most of my projects.....her outfit will evolve as I work on it.............
 
here are a few photos of antique half dolls/ pincushions I have found on the internet.............aren't they lovely?
 
Porcelain half doll pincushion:Pretty pincushion doll with a cross stitch skirtHALF DOLLS: ART DECO FASHION LADIES - HALF DOLLS BY FASOLD & S...ILuvVintageScrap: Marie Antoinette Pin Cushion❤❤❤
 
 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Ida what a lovely job you have done redoing these lovely ladies,you are very clever my friend xx

Helen said...

Wow she looks beautiful, fantastic effort !!

Barb said...

Oh my gosh...that is so clever turned out fabulously.

Lynette said...

They are so pretty. What a neat idea :)

Hilachas said...

WTG with the new pincushion idea. I love how your doll looks, better in "real life" than in the photo.

Janice Holton said...

I love the lady treasure you have found! I have always been attracted to these porcelain beauties. I don't collect them myself, but I do admire them!

Sheryl said...

Beautiful work on the bathing beauty, gorgeous pincushion.